Anat Rafaeli holds the Yigal Alon Chair for the Study of People at Work in the Technion—Israel Institute of Technology. She completed her PhD studies at the Ohio State University and was a post-doctorate visiting fellow at Stanford University after which she joined the faculty of The Hebrew University. She has also been a faculty member at The University of Michigan, and since 2000 she has been a professor in the faculty of Industrial Engineering and Management of the Technion. Anat’s research examines emotions felt and displayed in organizations, organizational artifacts (e.g., workstation design, organizational logos, or employee dress), hiring and recruiting processes, and service interactions between employees and customers.
Current Working Papers
Selected Publications and Presentations
Rafaeli, A. and Klimoski, R. J. Predicting sales success through handwriting analysis: An evaluation of the effects of training and handwriting sample content. Journal of Applied Psychology, 68, 1983, 212-217.
Rafaeli, A. and Sutton, R.I. The expression of emotion as part of the work role. Academy of Management Review, 12, 1, 1987, 23-27.
Sutton, R. and Rafaeli, A. Untangling the relationship between emotion work and organizational sales: The case of convenience stores. Academy of Management Journal, 31, 3, 1988, 461-487.
Rafaeli, A. and Pratt, M.G. Tailored meanings: On the meaning and impact of organizational dress. Academy of Management Review, 1, 1993, 32-56.
Pratt, M.G. and Rafaeli, A. Symbols as a language of organizational relating work. Research in Organizational Behavior, 23, 2001, 93-133.
Rafaeli, A. and Vilnai-Yavetz, I. Emotion as a connection of physical artifacts and organizations. Organization Science, 15, 6, 2004, 671-686.
Rafaeli, A. Sense-making of employment: On whether and why people read employment advertising. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 27, 2006, 1-24.
Hareli, S. and Rafaeli, A. Emotion Cycles: On the social influence of emotion in organizations. Research in Organizational Behavior, 28, 2008, 35-59.
* Rafaeli, A., Sagi, Y. and Derfler, R. Logos and initial compliance: A strong case of mindless trust. Organization Science, 19, 6, 2008, 845–859.
* Rafaeli, A., Erez, A. Ravid, S., Derfler R. and Rozilio, R. Encountering rudeness: Effects on employee emotion and cognition. Journal of Applied Psychology, 2012.
Rafaeli, A., & Altman, D. (2016). Emotion in frontline service: Concerns and reconsiderations. Journal of Service Research.
Henkel, A., Bögershausen, J., Rafaeli, A., & Lemmink, J. (2016). When a marketplace interaction becomes a social interaction: Observer reactions to customer incivility. Journal of Service Research.
In the press
- התעמרות בעובדים במקום העבודה – גלובס 2015
- מנטה – מגזין לבריאות ואיכות חיים - ינואר 2013 – רגשות מדבקים בארגונים
- workplace abuse and harassments - The Marker January 2013
- Managing Anger and Other Emotions in Organizations – 2012
- The Marker February 2012 – Work Place Bullying
- The Effects of Competition on Aggression – The Marker August 2011
- Effects if anger at work - Toronto Star August 2011
- Wall Street Journal June 2011 – Anger and Performance
- UK Podcast - HR Brief on Customer Anger
- When One Group Member is Angry - The Marker
- The Waiting Experience - Yediot Aharonot
- Waiting on the Phone -- The Marker
- 60 Seconds on Anger in Virtual Teams – Galei Zahal
- Waiting on the Phone - Newsweek
- The Marker – October 2010 – Managing Emotions in Organizations
- Happy campers and other dissatisfied customers - Focus - Technion - June -2015
Emotion in organizations
- Anger and aggression in organizations
- Emotion Cycles
- General Reviews
- Displayed Emotion
- Felt Emotion
- Emotions in Organizations
- Organization Science
- Journal of Service Research
- Academy of Management Review
- Research Seminar in Service Management
- Frontiers in Services
- Emotion in Digital Text Service
- Anger and Negative Emotions in Organizations
- Emotion Expression and Globalization
- Emotions at Work and the Work of Emotions
- Emotions in Organizations
- Anger and its Effects in Work Organizations
- Effects of Customer Anger - Dec. 2010
- A Psychological Look at Queues
- Emotion in Service Delivery
- Qualitative and Field Studies of Emotion
- Economic Empowerment for Women
- Reflections on Cross-Cultural Research
- On Customer Hostility
- רגשות בעבודה ורגשות בארגונים – פורום בוגרי הטכניון
- ניהול רגשות בארגונים – יום עיון במכללת ספיר
Emotions in organizations, anger and conflict in organizations, symbols and artifacts in organizations, management and dynamics of service interactions and connecting psychological dynamics to service operations.