The Faculty’s Excellence Program is a prestigious program for students with outstanding academic achievement in the three degree subjects offered by the faculty: industrial engineering and management; data science and engineering; and information systems engineering. The program lasts five years, during which students complete a bachelor’s degree (BSc) and master’s degree with thesis (MSc). For each of the three subject areas, a special program of study has been created enabling the completion of a bachelor’s degree in three years and a master’s degree in two years.
The main goal of the program is to introduce outstanding students to relevant research in the early stages of their undergraduate studies. Participating students will be exposed to the Faculty’s cutting-edge research efforts in various fields, and will gain skills in carrying out research while still undergraduates. All students in the program will receive close supervision from a member of faculty throughout their studies.
At the begining of their first year of studies, the Faculty will approach students deemed to be suitable candidates for the program. Admission to the program will be based on academic achievement (at the Technion and elsewhere), curriculum vitae, and individual interview. The program is suitable for a small number of particularly outstanding students who are interested in research.
Main Elements of the Program:
• Close supervision from a member of faculty for the duration of the study track
• Extensive access to faculty members, laboratories, and research throughout undergraduate studies
• Preferential treatment and greater flexibility in registering for courses—registration will be at the discretion of the course lecturer and the program coordinator
• Program participants who complete their undergraduate degree will be automatically accepted into graduate studies in the Faculty (subject to final approval from the Technion Graduate School)
• Increased scholarships throughout graduate degree studies
• Enrichment lectures and social activities throughout the course of the program
• Public exposure as outstanding students on the Faculty website, and award of a special certificate of excellence and excellence pin
Participants must complete at least two “research project” courses, under the supervision of a faculty member, to a level approaching that of graduate research. The aim of the research project is to help students acquire practical research skills and an understanding of current cutting-edge research efforts in the project’s field of research, as a preparatory step toward their graduate studies.
Participants must take part in the Faculty’s “big brother” program, mentoring younger students in the Faculty, or alternatively they may join the Faculty’s team of teaching assistants.
Participants must gain an overall GPA of at least 90 throughout their undergraduate studies.
Completing the Program:
Though the program continues through to the end of graduate studies, on completion of their undergraduate degree participating students will receive a letter from the Dean of Faculty confirming their participation in the Faculty’s Excellence Program, as long as the following conditions are met:
• The student has successfully completed at least two “research project” courses during their undergraduate studies.
• The student has completed their undergraduate degree with a GPA of at least 90, and is due to begin their graduate studies in semester 7.
• The student is still a participant in the program at the time they complete their undergraduate studies.
• The student has met the program requirements.
For the sake of clarity, it should be noted that any student choosing to drop out of the program may continue their studies in the degree program in which they are registered.